Saturday, September 15, 2007

Where's the Fairway?

There are two perspectives on golf. The viewpoint of a golfer's spouse is they play all of the time, and it is all they think about. The golfer's point of view is that they never play as much as they would like to play. Both are accurate. A golfer never thinks that they play as much as they would like to play (there isn't enough hours in a day...) If I had unlimited resources and time I would probably play almost every day. I would, however, teach Lesli to play and then play with her as often as I could. She does have a set of clubs, and for Mother's day I bought her a black golf bag with pink trim, a pink towel, black and pink head covers, a pink golf glove and pink golf balls. With her outfit, she looks a player. She just needs to find time in her busy schedule to learn how to play.

Back to the different perspectives on golf. Before Lesli came into my life again, I played golf whenever I wanted without many limitations. Now, I would really rather spend time with her doing something fun than go golfing by myself. We are pretty busy with work and all of the projects that she has to do each month so there isn't a lot of spare time to do "fun" things. We rarely even go out to the movies let alone have time to go to the driving range or the golf course to learn how to play.

If we could incorporate golfing together I would be in heaven. I have a friend who got his wife interested in golf and now they plan their vacations around playing golf more often than not. When your spouse plays golf, you always have a partner, and I would love spending 4-5 hours with Lesli on the golf course. I love it when she drives the cart. She is an excellent driver and has picked up the nuances of driving the cart on the course and where to park. I would call her a natural.

She is very supportive about me taking time to play when I have time off which is awesome. When my day off falls on her day off we try to spend it together, but when it doesn't I head for the course. I played Wednesday at Bear Creek golf course in the morning and was able to help her later that day with her class. It is much easier to sit there and die cut for her when I have my needs satisfied too. I still wish I could play more because I played pretty good which always makes me feel that I could play better because I used to be better in my younger days.

I had dreams of qualifying for the Senior PGA Tour when I turned 50. That is why I love the book "Miracle on the 17th Green". It is about a man whose job was not satisfying to him and he always thought he could compete with the pros, so when he turned 50 he went out in search of his dream. Lesli found out how much pro golfers can make and she told me to go practice and get out there on tour so I could start making big bucks. I thought it was funny, but if I really thought I had the skills I would definately be out there practicing.

Now I just play for fun.

4 comments:

come sit awhile... said...

You, my darling husband, and I have a date tonight at the driving range! We are going to hit some balls, what do ya' think about that? We'll just have to bake cakes later!

shabbyscrapper said...

richard would love it if i played, but, alas, i don't have any desire (or talent!). he tried to teach me when we were first married, but it didn't take. nowadays, jake keeps trying to get richard to go play with him. i think that would be great...some dad/son bonding time!

you and lovely lesli are just so stinkin' cute! you belong together! someday you will find the time to play golf together, in the meantime, just keep "hittin' balls"...wink, wink!!

ForeverSarahLee said...

Isn't my mama a silly one?!

I thoroughly enjoy reading your blogs Steve. I truly do.

As corny as this might sound, it's actually very relaxing to me to read your thoughts. I know Lesli might be embarassed by all the love she gets her way, but I love it. And she deserves it. As do you. I'm SO glad you two are there for each other. It makes me smile how cute you 2 are! :0)

Anonymous said...

Could this be Steve Spafford from Utah?? Weber State??
Michele Wolle